Halifax County South Boston Public Library System
1. Patrons are now allowed 3 renewals on all items as long as there is not a hold on the item.
2. All items now have a 3 day grace period after the initial due date. HOWEVER, if the item is not returned within that 3 day grace period then any fines which accumulate on the item will include that 3 day period.
3. As soon as an item goes beyond the grace period fines begin to accumulate on the person's account, even if the item has not yet been returned. With our previous automation system overdue fines were tabulated and added to the account after the item was returned.
The library has a part-time position open and is accepting applications through 6 pm on September 2, 2016. For more information go to the "About the Library" tab at the top of the page and click on "Job Opportunities."
INSPIRED BY CANCER
On September 12 the South Boston Public Library will host an author's reading and roundtable discussion as a part of Inspired By Cancer, a month-long event in September.
The library will host an exhibit of artwork from the Throw Paint at Cancer program and at 5pm on September 12 there will be a reception with the artists. Also at the reception will be Michele Ryan, author of the book Cancer: What I Wish I Had Known When I Was First Diagnosed. At 6 pm Michele will present a program entitled Get Busy Living: Early Detection for a Better Life. Her presentation will be followed at 7 pm by a roundtable discussion with Michele and members of the cancer support community.
You may register to attend this program by calling either branch of the library system.
UPCOMING FINE/FEE CHANGES
The following changes will take place to the library's schedule of fines and fees on September 6, 2016:
- All items that currently have a per day overdue fine amount of .15 cents will have a per day overdue fine amount of .20 cents.
- The per page cost for black and white photopcopies and printouts will go from .15 cents to .20 cents, while the per page cost for color copies and printouts will go from .50 cents to .75 cents.
- All items that currently have a maximum overdue fine limit of $5.00 will be raised to $6.00.
UPCOMING TITLES FOR THE TEA & BOOK DISCUSSION CLUB
September: At the Edge of the Orchard, by Tracy Chevalier
October: The Greater Journey, by David McCullough
The Tea & Book Discussion Club meets on the third Tuesday of every month at 2:30 pm at the Halifax Public Library.
Something For Everyone
Get all the information you need on upcoming events for Toddlers and Kids.
Get the scoop on all the events and programs just for teenagers.
Computer classes, crafting socials, book meet-ups and more. Find out here.
The HCSB Public Library has two meeting rooms available for use by area organizations. Both meeting rooms are located at the South Boston Public Library.
A collection of online links to resources to aid in many different types of research projects.